Sunday, April 12, 2015

Survivor Spotlight: Christine Webster

I always knew that something life changing was going to happen to me at age 40. I just felt it. On January 1, 2008, I had a massive stroke caused by an Arterial Venous Malformation in my brainstem.

I was 40 years old, a free spirit, independent. I had just received my graduate degree and became a teacher . My passion was to educate children and inspire hope for our future. After a year of teaching, I started to have horrible headaches. Within 6 months I suffered the stroke. For years afterward, I had multiple brain surgeries . It was a long journey home.

My stroke recovery has been about incredible challenges, but it has also been about hope. I tell myself "slow and steady wins the race", "this too shall pass" and inspirational things that keep me
going. A work in progress is what I consider myself now. I don't focus on the past or the future anymore. I focus on the present. I think it's all in how we want to look at our stroke. Is the glass half empty or half full? I choose half full. It takes hard work every day to maintain a positive attitude. It is a meditation for me.

I now accept what has happened and appreciate the new me. I don't believe stroke is easy for any one- of any age. Afte (years of recovery, I started volunteering in my community. I volunteer with stroke patients in the hospital, help tourists at the local chamber of commerce and tutor schoolchildren . I am very active in stroke support groups and public speaking events.

Life was extremely difficult after my stroke, but I adjusted. I live in a great community and have many new friends. I couldn't do it without them. Since my stroke, I have learned to ride a three-wheel bike, make lampshades and take one day at a time. I start each day with a healthy dose of gratitude, laughter, kindness and compassion . It is my intention to make each day my best. I believe that anything is possible and I believe in miracles.

In early January, I started searching online and found Stroke Camp. It sounded so interesting. I flew down to San Diego for the camp held January 23-25 because I just had to meet these incredible people that make it all happen. I want to continue my work with stroke recovery, prevention and education.

I just simply want to help people. My dream is to see Stroke Camp come to Northern California someday. I believe "where there is a will there is a way." I can't give up until stroke statistics decline, until people stop dying and being disabled. I believe I can help to produce that change. At least I can try.

So something big did happen to me when I turned 40. It was life changing and I will never ever be the same. For that I am grateful. I appreciate everything I have been given and have survived. After seven years of recovery, I just got my first job . I am beside myself with excitement for the future. Never give up hope and never stop trying. We all have something great to give.

**********************************************************************************************************************

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would like to hear what you think of our articles and welcome your input. For your safety, all comments will be reviewed by the moderator before being posted. Please know that comments containing links to other sites or email addresses have typically been spam, so, and I apologize, comments containing those will be monitored closely and may not be accepted.