Monday, April 25, 2016

Rules for a Good Life After a Stroke

If I have a stroke, I’d like my family to hang this wish list up on the wall where I live and where you live. And, pass it on to your friends and relatives:

Rules for a Good Life After a Stroke

If I have a stroke, I want my friends and family to embrace my reality. I am still the same person on the inside. I just have difficulty getting it on the outside. Please be patient with me and let me finish. Remember, I'm rebuilding my brain pathways.

If I have a stroke, I don’t want to be treated like a child. Talk to me like the adult that I am.

If I have a stroke, I still want to enjoy the things that I’ve always enjoyed. Help me find a way to exercise, read and visit with friends. Don’t isolate me. I still need my friends, and my friends can help me improve just by being there.

If I have a stroke, don’t be afraid to reminisce with me. I still like to hear about the fun things we did. Remember, I'm rebuilding my brain pathways.

If I have a stroke, and I become agitated, take the time to figure out what is bothering me. Sometimes I have no control over my emotions but don’t worry, I won’t hurt you. Remember, I'm rebuilding my brain pathways.

If I have a stroke, treat me the way that you would want to be treated.

If I have a stroke, make sure that there are plenty of snacks for me in the house. Even now, if I don’t eat I get angry, and if I have a stroke, I may have trouble explaining what I need. Remember, I'm rebuilding my brain pathways.

If I have a stroke, don’t talk about me as if I’m not in the room. Remember, I'm rebuilding my brain pathways.

If I have a stroke and you are my caregiver, don’t feel guilty if you can’t care for me 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. It’s not your fault, and you’ve done your best. It would help if you can find someone who can help you.

If I have a stroke and you are a friend, the best thing you can do for me is ask my caregiver if there is something you can help with. It doesn’t have to be much they’ll appreciate any help they can get, big or small.

If I have a stroke, and I have to live in a stroke care facility like a nursing home, or some such, please visit me often.

If I have a stroke, don’t act frustrated if I mix up names, events or places. Take a deep breath. It’s not my fault and it's not your fault. Remember, I'm rebuilding my brain pathways.

If I have a stroke, don’t exclude me from parties and family gatherings. Social interaction helps me improve. Remember, I'm rebuilding my brain pathways.

If I have a stroke, know that I still like receiving hugs or handshakes.

If I have a stroke, remember that I am still the person you know and love, I'm just rebuilding my brain pathways.

***********************************************************************************************************


No comments:

Post a Comment

We would like to hear what you think of our articles and welcome your input. For your safety, all comments will be reviewed by the moderator before being posted. Please know that comments containing links to other sites or email addresses have typically been spam, so, and I apologize, comments containing those will be monitored closely and may not be accepted.